- It's all yours right now -- enjoy it! Once your wiki takes off, lots of people will read what you write. Right now, nobody's looking over your shoulder yet, so feel free to try things out and make mistakes.
- Make lots of short pages! The hardest thing about writing is looking at a blank page and not knowing where to start. It's a lot easier once you write down your first couple sentences. So take a deep breath, and jump in -- make ten really short pages, one right after another. Once you've started, you can build the pages up slowly, adding a little bit at a time.
- Link your pages together! Links help you and your readers get from one page to another, so whenever you mention the subject of another page, use the "Add a Link" button to make a link to that page. You should also use the front page to link to all of the most important pages on your wiki. Describe what your wiki is about on the main page, and include links to help your readers find their way around.
- Add pictures! A well-chosen picture can make a bland wiki page come to life. When you're writing a page, use the "Add a Picture" button to upload a picture from your computer onto the page.
- When you're ready -- tell your friends! Once you've started a bunch of pages, linked them together and added some pictures, you'll be ready to start showing off your wiki to the world. You probably know people who are interested in the same thing that you are, so tell your friends to check out your new site. Those are your first readers and potential contributors, so give them lots of encouragement.
A good way to stay up-to-date with the latest news and events around Wikia is to visit our Staff blog. If at any time you get stuck, feel free to write to us through our contact form -- we're happy to help!
Have fun!-- Sannse
I posted a photo but did not earn badge :( Edit
Can you help? I posted a photo on the Canada Suicide Prevention Page and did not receive a badge. Not a big deal, but it's nice to get the recognition.
- 02:02, May 30, 2011 (diff | hist) Canada (top)
- 01:50, May 30, 2011 (diff | hist) N File:Woman.png (top)
- 01:50, May 30, 2011 (diff | hist) Canada (File added via photo placeholder)
- 01:42, May 30, 2011 (diff | hist) Canada
jcather 03:07, June 13, 2011 (UTC)jcather
Thanks for making me an administrator Edit
Thanks for making me an administrator on this Wiki. To answer your question, no, I have not yet received my badge for contributing a photo. Technology can be weird. I'd love to have it, just to remember my contributions. Enjoy working on this Wiki. Trying to think of how to add Facebook pages dedicated to suicide prevention .... in my free time.
jcather 02:02, June 25, 2011 (UTC)jcather
Thanks for starting this wiki Edit
Hi, I just wanted to add to my (automated) welcome above. Post Secret is one of my favourite blogs, so it's great to see this project on Wikia. If you need any help from the Community Support Team, please let us know. I've taken ads of the wiki for the next six months as a welcome gift :) -- sannse (help forum | blog) 23:48, June 27, 2011 (UTC)
Formatting problems on ISP wiki Edit
I logged on today and found formatting problems on the wiki. Some of the cells do not have seperator lines like they did yesterday. It is inconsistent, but across the board. I fixed a few, but then could not fix others. Might you be able to help?
jcather 02:06, June 28, 2011 (UTC)jcather
Adding District of Columbia under states Edit
I tried to add "District of Columbia/Washington D.C." to the directory list in US States. It posted in the color red, not blue like the others, and would like it to link to the page/category/article (?) I have made for D.C. I'd also like to start doing this to the Canadian Provinces under Canada. I just don't understand how this is done. Could you either doing it for me? Or, better yet, show me how to do. I'd like to learn how to do this, yet I do not want to be too much of a burden to you.
jcather 19:10, August 19, 2011 (UTC)jcather
I cannot figure out how to create new categories. It must be obvious, yet I can't figure it out. Could you advise me how to create a category page?
I've solved all the other problems I've written you about by hit and miss.
Thanks for your help.
jcather 22:04, September 30, 2011 (UTC)jcather